Too Darn Cute

Friday, July 27, 2012

Gender Reveal Cake Balls

I love the recent trend to have a gender reveal party.  It's probably because I love guessing games and cheesy excuses to dress up.  I wanted to do something kind of fun to reveal the gender of our little one to my coworkers and finally decided on cake balls.  It has taken me many attempts, but I finally feel like I can make a pretty mean cake ball.  The concept is pretty simple.  It's the creation part that takes practice.  Here's my simple how to:

1.  Bake a cake.  Any box.  Any flavor.  Then let it cool.
2.  Mix up a little frosting.
3.  Crumble the cake and mix with frosting.  You can mix as much as you want, but a little goes a long way.  You don't want the cake to be too sticky.
4.  Roll the cake/frosting mixture into walnut-sized balls.  Freeze.
5.  Melt chocolate and dip one a time.

The key is getting the chocolate the right consistency.  I've found that almond bark usually melts the best.  Then, I add a tablespoon or so of shortening so it is nice and thin.  It makes it easier to get a smooth covering of chocolate which makes a really pretty cake ball.

It was fun to bring them to work and make everyone guess what I was having.


 
Always add sprinkles.  They make everything more fun.

It's a boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment